French Onion Chicken Hash Brown Casserole
This french onion chicken hash brown casserole is easy to make, delicious, and such a comforting meal the whole family loves! This easy dinner recipe comes together pretty quickly.
1 lb cooked chicken (cubed or shredded)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika, garlic powder, and parsley
1 1/2 cups French onion dip
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 6 oz container of crispy fried onions
1 30 oz bag shredded hash browns
How To Make
To make the french onion chicken hash brown casserole, start with one pound of cooked chicken. A rotisserie chicken works great for this recipe or you could cook chicken. When I cook chicken I usually just cut it up into smaller peices and cook it in a skillet. I lightly season the chicken with some salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
In a large bowl, combine the frozen shredded hash browns, 1 10 oz can of cream of chicken soup, and about 1 1/2 cups of french onion dip. To the bowl, add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and season the whole mixture with some pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and parsley.
Stir this really well and pour it out into a greased 9×13 baking dish. Smooth everything out evenly and top with an entire 6 oz container of crispy fried onions. These crispy fried onions are my favorite part of this casserole!
The casserole will bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes or until the shredded hash browns are cooked.
Towards the end, keep an eye on the onions to make sure they don’t burn. If you need to you can loosley cover the top with aluminum foil to keep the onions from getting too brown.
Once the casserole is baked it’s time to eat! We usually serve this with some kind of veggie. Green beans, roasted broccoli, or even is salad is great!
Helpful Tips and Frequently Asked Questions
Always cook chicken until it reaches 165 degrees.
Any cooked chicken works for this recipe! Rotisserie chicken, leftover chicken, or you can cook some chicken in a skillet.
I used freshly shredded cheddar cheese, but Colby Jack cheese or mozzarella cheese would also be good!
The french onion dip I used is a refrigerated french onion chip dip. I like Prairie Farm’s dip, but you can use your favorite kind.
If you like this recipe, check out some of my other similar recipes.
Disclosure: Cooking in the Midwest participates in affiliate advertising programs. I may earn a commission when you make qualifying purchases through my website.
- 1 lb cooked chicken cubed or shredded
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika garlic powder, and parsley
- 1 1/2 cups French onion dip
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 6 oz container of crispy fried onions
- 1 30 oz bag shredded hash browns
- In a bowl combine hash browns, cooked chicken, cream of chicken soup, all seasonings, French onion dip, and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Stir well.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add mixture to baking dish and top with crispy fried onions.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes or until hash browns are cooked (if you need to you can loosely cover it with aluminum foil to keep the onions from getting too brown).