Gooey Butter Cake is hands down one of my favorite desserts of all time!
1 yellow cake mix
1 stick (1/2 cup) melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar + more for topping
How to make
To make Gooey Butter Cake, start by lining a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper and preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
Using a stand mixer, pour one yellow cake mix into a bowl. Add 2 of the eggs, 1 tsp of vanilla extract, and 1/2 cup of melted butter. Mix until it is well incorporated and smooth.
Pour this mixture into baking dish on top of the parchment paper. Spread it out evenly and press it down with a spatula.
I like to quickly rinse out the mixing bowl, and add one 8 oz block of cream cheese that has been softened or at room temperature. Add 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
Add the 2 other eggs to the mixing bowl and mix again until well combined. Pour into the baking dish and spread it out evenly.
The Gooey Butter Cake will bake in the oven for about 35-45 minutes. Let it bake until it is starting to get golden brown and starting to form a “crust” on top. The butter cake will still be slightly jiggly in the middle when done.
Once the Gooey Butter Cake is done, take it out of the oven and remove it from the baking dish by lifting out the parchment paper. Let this cool for a couple of hours.
If you’d like to you can sprinkle a little bit more powdered sugar over the top and cut it into squares.
This dessert never disappoints! I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does!
Store any leftovers of this delicious Gooey Butter Cake in the refrigerator!
Disclosure: Cooking in the Midwest participates in affiliate advertising programs. I may earn a commission when you make qualifying purchases through my website.
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 stick 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar + more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Add the cake mix, 2 eggs, vanilla extract, and melted butter to a large bowl and mix together using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and lay a piece of parchment paper inside.
- Pour mixture on top of parchment paper and press it out evenly in the pan.
- Mix together powdered sugar and room temperature cream cheese until smooth.
- Add 2 eggs and mix until smooth.
- Pour this mixture on top of cake mixture in baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes or until it looks golden and set. It should still have a slight jiggle, but be mostly set up.
- Remove gooey butter cake from baking dish by lifting out the parchment paper. Let cool for about 2 hours before cutting and serving.
- Optional - sprinkle with more powdered sugar. Keep leftovers refrigerated.