Unstuffed Pepper Skillet is an easy weeknight meal!
Do you love the flavor of stuffed peppers but either don’t feel like actually stuffing the peppers, or do you have picky eaters in your house? If so, this Unstuffed Pepper Skillet recipe is an easy twist on the classic stuffed peppers we all know. This is a simple and quick recipe to throw together when you’re in a hurry to get dinner on the table. It makes the perfect dinner for my family during the busy work week. Another great thing about it is that you can finely chop up other vegetables to add more nutrients to the meal for your kiddos!
To make this delicious and easy recipe, start by browning 1 pound of ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Next, season the meat with: ¼ teaspoon each of salt, pepper, and paprika, 1 ½ teaspoons of steak seasoning. Add in one diced onion and 3 diced bell peppers. Green peppers or multicolored peppers all work great for this recipe, use any that you prefer! Continue to cook everything until the meat is cooked through and browned and until the onions and bell peppers have softened. Drain any excess grease from the skillet and discard.
Next, you will add a 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon of minced garlic, and 1 ½ cups of beef broth to your skillet. Then add 1 cup of long grain white rice (uncooked). Stir this all together well and bring to a quick boil. Then lower your heat to medium-low and cover with a lid. This will cook for about 20 minutes until the rice is cooked. Once it has cooked for 20 minutes, mix in 1 cup of cheddar cheese and then top the dish with the remaining 1 cup of cheese. Keep the skillet on the hot stovetop to melt the cheese. If you are cooking in an oven-safe skillet, you could also place the skillet in the oven under the broiler to melt the cheese.
Once the cheese is all melty and gooey, this dish is ready to serve up! This recipe is great as-is but I love to top it with some sour cream and hot sauce too to elevate the flavors even more and to give it a kick of heat! My kids love this meal and I feel good knowing they are getting some veggies hidden in, that they otherwise wouldn’t want to eat! This is a classic recipe that you will want to save to make time and time again for your family!
Helpful Tips and Frequently Asked Questions
Make this recipe in an oven-safe skillet to make melting the cheese quicker.
Freshly shredded cheddar cheese is the best to use, but pre shredded cheese would work too.
Use uncooked long grain white rice for this recipe.
Feel free to add in any other veggies to the dish.
Any bell peppers will work for this recipe. I tend to love the colorful ones.
- 1 Stove
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1/4 tsp each of salt, pepper, and paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp of steak seasoning
- 1 diced onion
- 3 bell peppers diced
- 2 TBSP of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 TBSP of minced garlic
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups of beef broth
- 1 cup of long grain white rice uncooked
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- Brown ground beef in a skillet, add all seasonings, onion and diced bell peppers.
- Let that cook until beef is cooked through and peppers/onions have softened.
- Drain any grease from the skillet.
- Add diced tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, beef broth, and uncooked rice.
- Stir well, bring to a quick boil, lower heat to about medium low and cover with a lid.
- Let that cook for about 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked to your liking.
- Mix in one cup of cheddar cheese.
- Top with the rest of the cheese.
- Let sit until cheese melts or pop under the broiler in the oven until the cheese melts.
- Serve! My family topped this with sour cream and hot sauce.