Crispy Oven Baked Chicken
This crispy oven baked chicken is easy to make and a dinner recipe the whole family loves! You only need a few ingredients and about 30 minutes to make them!
1 lb of chicken breasts
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder
2 cups Italian panko style breadcrumbs
2 TBSP butter
1/3 cup buffalo sauce or hot sauce
How to Make
To make the crispy oven baked chicken, start by butterfly cutting the chicken breasts to make them thinner. Pat dry the chicken with paper towels and spread mayo over both sides of the chicken.
In a skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 TBSP of butter. Once the butter is melted add about 2 cups of Italian panko style bread crumbs to the skillet. Add 1/3 cup of buffalo sauce or hot sauce and stir continuously until the bread crumbs start to brown and get crispy.
This small amount of buffalo sauce or hot sauce does not make the chicken spicy! My kids ate this and loved it! Honestly the buffalo sauce isn’t even really noticeable unless you top the chicken with more when serving.
Coat both sides of the chicken well with the breadcrumbs. Make sure both sides are well coated and place on a baking sheet with a rack. I like baking these on a rack because it helps both sides get nice and crispy.
The chicken will bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees.
Once the chicken is cooked it’s time to eat! I topped mine with more buffalo sauce. My wife and kids dipped theirs in honey and it was so good! We served this with some roasted potatoes and some Brussels sprouts.
This chicken would be good with any kind of veggie, macaroni and cheese, or even with some mashed potatoes. This crispy oven baked chicken would also be good over a salad!
Helpful Tips and Frequently Asked Questions
I seasoned the chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, but you could season it with any of your favorite seasonings.
Always cook chicken until it reaches 165 degrees.
If you don’t have a rack I would bake them on a sheet pan and flip them about half way through cooking. They may just not get quite as crispy, but should still be tasty!
Be sure not to skip pat drying chicken as this will also help the chicken get crispy.
If you like this recipe, check out some of my other similar recipes.
Disclosure: Cooking in the Midwest participates in affiliate advertising programs. I may earn a commission when you make qualifying purchases through my website.
- 1 lb chicken breast
- Salt Pepper, Garlic Powder
- 2 cups Italian panko style breadcrumbs
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce or hot sauce
- Butterfly cut chicken breasts to make them thinner.
- Pat dry chicken breasts with a paper towel. Season chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder on both sides.
- Spread a little bit of mayo on each side of the chicken.
- In a skillet over medium high heat melt butter and add bread crumbs. Add buffalo sauce and keep stirring until breadcrumbs start to brown and get kind of crispy.
- Coat chicken in breadcrumbs making sure each side is well coated.
- Bake on a rack at 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Drizzle more buffalo/hot sauce over the top and enjoy!!