BBQ Buffalo Chicken Tater Tot Skillet
We depend on easy weeknight dinners and this cheesy BBQ Buffalo Chicken Tater Tot Skillet recipe checks all the boxes for an easy dinner! Tater tots, BBQ sauce, buffalo sauce, chicken, and mozzarella cheese make up this delicious skillet dinner that comes together in about 30 minutes or less.
1 30-32oz bag hash brown rounds or tater tots
1 lb chicken breast
2 TBSP butter
1/2 tsp each of salt, pepper, and garlic powder
1 tsp of Smoked paprika
1 TBSP minced garlic
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Ranch dressing and chopped green onions for topping
How to Make
To make the cheesy BBQ Buffalo chicken tater tot skillet, start by adding hash brown rounds or tater tots to an air fryer and cooking at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. I like to shake these around at least a few times while they cook. The tater tots could also be cooked in the oven following the directions on the package.
Next, cut the chicken up into smaller cubes. Add 2 TBSP of butter to a skillet over medium high heat.
Add the chicken to the skillet and season well with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.
Cook the chicken until it is done and reaches at least 165 degrees with an internal meat thermometer. Once the chicken is cooked, turn the heat down to low and add 1 TBSP of minced garlic.
Next, remove the pan from the heat and add your favorite BBQ sauce right on top of the chicken I usually use Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce for this. Also go ahead and add buffalo sauce. I like using the Mild Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Sauce! I don’t usually use exact measurements for this part. I just add equal parts of each BBQ and buffalo sauce and make sure it’s enough to coat the chicken.
Once the tater tots are cooked pour them into the skillet of chicken. Stir gently and top with about 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
From here, you can put the skillet in the oven under broil to melt the cheese. Just watch it so it doesn’t burn! If you don’t have an oven safe skillet you can keep it on the stove on low and add a lid to help melt the cheese.
Once the cheese is melted, it’s time to eat! I topped mine with ranch dressing and chopped green onions.
I like serving meals like this with some kind of vegetable. We usually have roasted broccoli, green beans, or a salad!
Helpful Tips and Frequently Asked Questions
Use freshly minced garlic or jarred minced garlic for this recipe.
When adding the BBQ and buffalo sauce, I just eyeball this part. Just be sure to add equal parts of each.
Always cook chicken until it reaches 165 degrees.
I like using freshly shredded mozzarella cheese, but really any cheese would be good on this!
If you like this recipe, check out some of my other similar recipes.
Disclosure: Cooking in the Midwest participates in affiliate advertising programs. I may earn a commission when you make qualifying purchases through my website.
- 1 30-32 oz bag hash brown rounds or tater tots
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1/2 tsp each of salt pepper, and garlic powder
- 1 tsp of Smoked paprika
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Buffalo sauce
- BBQ Sauce
- Ranch dressing and chopped green onions for topping
- Pour tater tots into an air fryer and bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes (you could also bake them in the oven).
- Cut chicken into smaller pieces.
- Add 2 TBSP of butter to a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add chicken and season well with salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
- Let that cook until chicken is done and reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees.
- Turn the heat on the skillet down to low and add 1 TBSP minced garlic.
- Remove from the heat and add equal parts of buffalo sauce and BBQ sauce. Stir well.
- Once tater tots are cooked add them to the skillet with the chicken.
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Put in the oven on broil to melt the cheese (or back on the stove and cover with a lid if not using an oven safe skillet).
- Serve and enjoy! Top with ranch dressing and chopped green onions.