Shredded BBQ Chicken Baked Potatoes
This crockpot shredded BBQ chicken recipe is one that my family has been making for years! The options with this recipe are really endless with so many ways to switch up how you’re eating it. We use this recipe to make sandwiches, quesadillas, and stuffed baked potatoes!
2-4 chicken breasts
1 tsp each of salt, pepper, paprika
1 TBSP ranch dressing seasoning
1 TBSP minced garlic
1 TBSP white vinegar
BBQ Sauce (I usually use Sweet Baby Ray’s)
Toppings – butter, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions
How to Make
To make the crockpot shredded BBQ chicken stuffed baked potatoes, start by getting out your crockpot and spraying it with cooking spray.
Add two to four chicken breasts to the crockpot and season with salt, pepper, paprika, and ranch seasoning. Add 1 TBSP of minced garlic and about 1 TBSP of white vinegar.
Next, add your favorite BBQ sauce right on top of the chicken and seasonings. I usually use Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce for this. I don’t use exact measurements, just add enough BBQ sauce to completely cover the chicken.
Cover the crockpot with the lid and cook on low for about 4-6 hours. My crockpot cooks this in about 4 hours, but all crockpots cook differently.
Once chicken is cooked, shred the chicken with two forks or with a mixer.
If you think it needs more BBQ sauce you can add some more at this point and stir well.
At this point, I make baked potatoes. I like covering them with olive oil and salt and baking them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 45-60 minutes or until they are soft. It really depends on how big the potatoes are. You can make baked potatoes however you like!
Once the potatoes are baked, slice open the potatoes and add some butter. Add a big spoonful of the shredded BBQ chicken, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and top with some chopped green onions. You can top these with whatever your favorite toppings are!
To serve, we had these stuffed baked potatoes with corn on the cob and one of my favorite broccoli side dishes… broccoli salad!
Helpful Tips and Frequently Asked Questions
Use freshly minced garlic or jarred minced garlic for this recipe.
When adding the BBQ sauce, I just eyeball this part. You may add as much as you would like, but I usually just add enough to cover the chicken. You can always add more when you shred the chicken.
Always cook chicken until it reaches 165 degrees.
If you like this recipe, check out some of my other similar recipes.
Disclosure: Cooking in the Midwest participates in affiliate advertising programs. I may earn a commission when you make qualifying purchases through my website.
- 2-4 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp each of salt pepper, paprika
- 1 TBSP ranch dressing seasoning
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 TBSP vinegar
- BBQ Sauce I usually use Sweet Baby Ray’s
- Toppings - butter shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions
- Spray a crockpot with cooking spray.
- Add chicken, minced garlic, vinegar, and all the seasonings to a crockpot.
- Add some BBQ sauce on top. I don't use exact measurements for this part. I usually just do enough to cover the chicken, but you can really use as much as you'd like.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Shred the chicken, stir well, and add a little bit more BBQ sauce if needed.
- Make baked potatoes however you like in the microwave or oven.
- Slice open baked potatoes and add butter.
- Add a big spoonful of the shredded BBQ chicken inside of the baked potatoes. Top with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and chopped green onions.