Smash Burger Skillet
Smash burgers are one of my favorite foods to make and eat! Meat, cheese and potatoes…what more could you need?! This recipe has all of the delicious flavors of my family’s favorite smash burgers but all conveniently mixed up in a skillet with potatoes! I’m always looking for meals that I know my wife and kids will love, that are simple to make, and that also don’t break the bank! This smash burger and potato skillet meal is all of those and more! Another great thing about this dish is that it comes together in under 30 minutes which is great for busy weeknights!
1 lb ground beef
4 – 5 small/medium sized potatoes
Olive oil + salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika (for potatoes)
Kinder’s Caramelized Onion Burger Seasoning
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
Burger Sauce – 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup mayo, 1/8 cup mustard, 2 TBSP sweet relish
How To Make
I start by making the delicious burger sauce that I use to drizzle on top of the meal when it’s finished. To make this sauce, combine: ½ cup of ketchup, ¼ cup of mayo, ⅛ cup of yellow mustard, and 2 tablespoons of sweet pickle relish. Mix well and place in the fridge until you are ready to use it! This burger sauce is a great recipe to keep on hand to make in a pinch. It’s even great to dip fries in!
Now we are ready to start on the main part of this meal. I first washed and peeled 4-5 small or medium-sized potatoes and tossed them into a bowl. I then tossed the potatoes with some olive oil (about 2 tablespoons), salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. There are no exact measurements for this part, just add as much or as little as you’d like! Once the potatoes are all evenly coated in the seasonings, place them in the air fryer and cook at 400º F for about 20 minutes. Make sure to shake them a couple of times while they are cooking.
While the potatoes are in the air fryer cooking, form 1 lb of ground beef into 4 patties and place into a hot medium or large-sized skillet. Helpful tip: use a cast iron skillet so you can place it in the oven later on in the recipe! Use a smaller skillet or a spatula to smash down each burger patty. This smashing process is what makes that delicious crust that we all know and love on smash burgers! Season with your favorite burger seasoning. I used Kinder’s Caramelized Onion Burger seasoning. Flip the burgers once they get a nice crust on them and continue cooking until the burgers are cooked through.
Next, use your spatula to chop them into bite sized pieces. Once your potatoes are finished cooking and are nice and crispy, pour them over the top and stir everything together. Top everything with 1 cup (or more!) of freshly shredded cheddar cheese.
Now we’re ready for the finishing touches! Place the whole skillet in the oven (if using a cast iron skillet) and broil for just a few minutes to melt the cheese. If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, you can just place a lid on top and let it sit on the stove until the cheese melts. Top with that yummy burger sauce we made earlier and sprinkle on some green onions.
The flavors of this recipe are so delicious, my family loves it! This cheesy Smash Burger and Potato skillet meal comes together quickly so it is perfect for busy nights during the week or for when you’re just craving a delicious and hearty meal!
The burger sauce adds the perfect touch of tangy that takes it to a whole other level. You already have meat and potatoes in this recipe, so I like to serve with a lighter side like salad or other veggie! Try this recipe out, I hope you love it!
Helpful Tips and Frequently Asked Questions
Use a cast iron skillet so you can melt the cheese in the oven. If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, just place a lid on top and cook on the stovetop to melt the cheese.
Onions can be added to the skillet while cooking the burgers if desired.
Shred your own block of cheddar cheese for a richer and smoother melted cheese.
Kinder’s Caramelized Onion Burger Seasoning is my favorite seasoning for this!
If you like this recipe, check out my other similar recipes!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 - 5 small/medium sized potatoes
- Olive oil + salt pepper, garlic powder, paprika (for potatoes)
- Kinder’s Caramelized Onion Seasoning
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- Green onions
- Burger Sauce - 1/2 cup ketchup 1/4 cup mayo, 1/8 cup mustard, 2 TBSP sweet relish
- Mix together ketchup, mayo, mustard, and relish for burger sauce and set aside
- Peel potatoes, wash, and cut up into small cubes
- Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika (I don’t use exact measurements for this part)
- Cook potatoes in the air fryer at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes shaking them around at least a couple times while they cook
- Once potatoes are cooking, form ground beef into 4 burger patties
- Use a skillet or a spatula to smash burgers (smashing the burgers likes this makes an awesome crust on the burgers)
- Season with Kinder’s Caramelized Onion Seasoning
- Flip burgers and cook until they are cooked through
- Chop burgers into smaller pieces
- Add cooked potatoes into the skillet
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese
- Broil in the oven for just a few minutes to melt the cheese (you could also cover with a lid and let this sit on the stove until cheese melts)
- Top with burger sauce and green onions