Potato salad is one of my favorite sides for any summer BBQ or family get together! There’s so many variations of potato salad, but this simple and delicious recipe is my favorite. It has crispy bacon, hard boiled eggs, and is topped with chopped green onions!
4 large potatoes
1 1/2 cups of mayo
2 TBSP of yellow mustard
1/2 tsp each of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika
4 chopped hard boiled eggs
6 pieces of cooked bacon, crumbled
2 green onions, chopped
How To Make
To make potato salad, start by cooking at least six pieces of bacon. My favorite way to cook bacon is on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper. It bakes at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Once crisp, place on a paper towel lined plate to soak up excess bacon grease.
Next, hard boil four eggs. While the eggs are boiling, start peeling and chopping four large potatoes. I like to chop the potatoes into about 1 inch pieces.
Once all the potatoes are chopped, add potatoes to a pot and cover them in water. Bring the pot to a boil on high heat on the stove. Boil the potatoes until they are fork tender. Be sure not to boil them longer, so they don’t turn to mush.
Drain potatoes and set them aside. Add about 1 1/2 cups of mayo and 2 TBSP of yellow mustard to a bowl.
Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Chop three of the boiled eggs and add them to the boil.
Chop five of the pieces of crispy bacon and add them to the bowl. Stir everything together well.
Next, I added the cooked potatoes and stir well to get everything mixed together. Be sure to stir gently, so it doesn’t turn into mashed potatoes.
I let the potato salad chill in the fridge for at least a couple hours before serving to make sure all of the flavors blend together for a perfect bite.
We like having potato salad with any smoked meat like ribs, pork steaks, pulled pork, or even with burgers and hot dogs.
This is a popular summertime side dish for us but it’s not limited to summer! We could eat this anytime. Bring this potato salad to your next get together and watch it disappear!
Helpful Tips & Frequently Asked Questions
Many ingredients can be substituted from this recipe for your liking. You could add different seasonings or even relish.
Fresh cooked bacon works best in this recipe.
Don’t forget to save one egg and one piece of bacon for the top of the potato salad!
If you like this potato salad recipe, check out some of my other side dish recipes.
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups of mayo
- 2 TBSP of yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp each of salt pepper, garlic powder, and paprika
- 4 chopped hard boiled eggs
- 6 pieces of cooked bacon crumbled
- 2 green onions chopped
- Peel, wash, and chop potatoes.
- Boil potatoes in a pot of water on the stove until they are fork tender.
- While the potatoes are boiling, add mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika to a bowl and mix together well.
- Add chopped green onions, 3 of the eggs, and 5 pieces of bacon and mix together. I like to save one egg and one piece of bacon for the top of the potato salad.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, add them to the bowl and mix everything together well. Stir carefully so the potatoes don't turn to mashed potatoes.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least a couple hours.
- Before serving top with the chopped egg and bacon that you saved.