These Garlic Bread Meatball Subs are a quick and easy dinner recipe that my family loves for a busy weeknight dinner. We almost always have the ingredients to make these in our pantry and freezer and this is a meal we can have on the table in under 30 minutes no matter how busy the week has gotten! Check out my favorite meatball recipe here! We like to make these in big batches to keep in the freezer to have on hand for easy dinners like this.
- Frozen Texas Toast Garlic Bread (8 count)
- 1 pound of meatballs (precooked and thawed)
- Pasta Sauce or Marinara 16 oz
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Dried Parsley
Prep Garlic Bread Meatball Subs
To begin making these garlic bread meatball subs preheat your oven following the directions on the box of your frozen garlic bread. While the oven is heating up grab a pan and add in your meatballs and pasta sauce.
I like to use my homemade meatballs for this recipe and let them thaw in the refrigerator the night before for faster cooking time. You could also use fresh or frozen meatballs for this recipe just know that cooking time will vary.
As the meatballs and sauce come to a simmer cover them with a lid and lower the heat while you prep the garlic bread. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Bake the garlic bread at the time and temperature recommended on the packaging.
Once the garlic bread is crisp and golden brown remove it from the oven to begin assembling the garlic bread meatball subs. Use a large spoon to press into the center of each piece of garlic bread to form little bread bowls to hold the meatballs.
Build Meatball Subs
Next, you are just going to place 2-3 meatballs in the center of each piece of garlic bread depending on the size of each piece. I’ve found that typically there are enough varied size pieces of bread that one pound of meatballs is the perfect match for an 8 count box of garlic bread.
After you have placed all of your meatballs inside the garlic bread, top each one with a little bit of the remaining sauce. Then add a slice of mozzarella cheese over the top of each of your garlic bread meatball subs to hold everything together.
You could also use shredded mozzarella, I just prefer the slices because I feel like they hold everything together better and the assembly is less messy!
Once your garlic bread meatball subs have a nice cheese blanket place them in the oven for just a couple more minutes to melt the cheese to your liking.
Serve Garlic Bread Meatball Subs
Once the cheese has melted to your liking remove the meatball subs from the oven and top with fresh or dried parsley to make them look a little fancy!
We like to serve these with any additional sauce that was leftover from earlier to use for dipping. These garlic bread meatball subs pair perfectly with a nice Caesar salad.
This is a kid approved meal through and through, but it would also make a great appetizer when entertaining guests or watching the big game!
If you like this easy meatball sub recipe check out some of my other simple weeknight recipes!
- Garlic Bread Sloppy Joe’s
- Chicken Parm Garlic Bread
- Cheesy Hamburger Helper
- Lasagna Hamburger Helper
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken and Potato Skillet
- Alice Spring’s Chicken and Potato Skillet
Tips and Frequently Asked Questions
- Store bought frozen meatballs or homemade meatballs will both work for this recipe use your favorite.
- If starting with frozen precooked meatballs cook them first and then allow them to simmer in the sauce.
- You can use shredded mozzarella or sliced to make this recipe. I prefer the slices because they are less messy and hold everything together well.
- I’ve found placing 2-3 meatballs inside each piece of garlic bread is the perfect amount to accommodate the various sizes of the bread.
- 1 Stove/Oven
- 8 Count Frozen Texas Toast Garlic Bread
- 1 pound Precooked thawed meatballs
- 1 16 ounce Pasta Sauce or Marinara
- 8 slices Mozzarella Cheese
- Dried Parsley
- Cook the garlic bread according to the directions on the box.
- Add the cooked meatballs and sauce to a pan over medium heat and bring that to a simmer.
- Once simmering cover with a lid and lower the heat.
- Remove the garlic bread from the oven when golden and press down the center with a spoon to form little bread bowls.
- Place 2-3 meatballs in each piece of garlic bread and top with additional sauce from the pan.
- Add a slice of Mozzarella cheese over the top of each of your meatball subs and place them back in the oven for a couple more minutes to melt the cheese.
- Top with dried parsley to make it look fancy serve and enjoy!